By Caroline Rooney
Through exam of the services of language and cross-cultural readings of literature – from African queer studying to postcolonial Shakespeare – Rooney explores the character of the true, providing:
- a means out of a few of the present deadlocks of feminist theory
- an anti-essentialist method of gender during which either female and male readers may well handle a awareness of the feminine
- a platform for postcolonial and postmodernist thinkers to have interaction in a discussion round the prestige of the performative in regard to the other
- a new idea of poetic realism in either canonical and postcolonial literatures
- a re-reading of the Enlightenment legacy when it comes to postcolonial liberation theory
- a comparability of up to date debates at the genuine around the humanities and the sciences.
Exploring present rules of performativity in literature and language, and negotiating a direction among feminist theory’s universal pitfalls of essentialism and constructivism, Caroline Rooney argues convincingly that by rethinking our knowing of gender we'd additionally equip ourselves to resist racism and totalitarianism extra effectively.
Read or Download Decolonising Gender: Literature and a Poetics of the Real (Routledge Research in Postcolonial Literatures) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
There's a melanoma within the land; the melanoma of feedback. Christ as soon as acknowledged, “Blessed are the peacemakers: for they can be referred to as the youngsters of God. ” Whose little ones then, are those that create animosity and rivalry, who “sow discord” and make a guy “an criminal for a notice? ” In Blindness by means of layout, writer Robert Day takes factor with those that not just unfold the melanoma of anti-government rhetoric, yet do it simply because there's monstrous cash to be made in so doing.
The feminine criticism is a part of Lauren Berlant’s groundbreaking “national sentimentality” undertaking charting the emergence of the U. S. political sphere as an affective area of attachment and identity. during this publication, Berlant chronicles the origins and conventions of the 1st mass-cultural “intimate public” within the usa, a “women’s tradition” unique by means of a view that girls unavoidably have anything in universal and are wanting a talk that feels intimate and revelatory.
Because the starting of his poetic occupation within the Nineteen Nineties, derek beaulieu has created works that experience challenged readers to appreciate in new methods the probabilities of poetry. With 9 books at present to his credits, and lots of works showing in chapbooks, broadsides, and magazines, beaulieu keeps to push experimental poetry, either in Canada and the world over, in new instructions.
Now and then of quandary and revolution akin to ours, diagnoses of an important junctures and ruptures – ‘turning issues’ – within the non-stop move of historical past are extra typical than ever. Analysing literary, cinematic and different narratives, the amount seeks to appreciate the meanings conveyed by way of varied ideas of turning issues, the choice thoughts to which they're antagonistic while used to provide an explanation for old switch, and people contexts during which they're unmasked as fake and over-simplifying buildings.
- Time Binds: Queer Temporalities, Queer Histories (Perverse modernities)
- Charles Dickens (Longman Critical Readers)
- New World Courtships: Transatlantic Alternatives to Companionate Marriage (Re-Mapping the Transnational: A Dartmouth Series in American Studies)
- The Cambridge Companion to Joseph Conrad (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
- Narrative Policy Analysis: Theory and Practice
Extra resources for Decolonising Gender: Literature and a Poetics of the Real (Routledge Research in Postcolonial Literatures)
Decolonising Gender: Literature and a Poetics of the Real (Routledge Research in Postcolonial Literatures) by Caroline Rooney